At Northampton Tesco is among the first in the UK to test Loop’s new reuse program – which allows buyers to post a deposit to purchase their product in a reusable box.
Clannel Road in Northampton is just one of ten stores across the UK to test the reuse program.
The idea, made possible by Loop, makes buyers pay an additional deposit to buy a product, like cereal, in a stainless steel box instead of a cardboard box with plastic inside.
Find out more about the latest supermarket news, money saving tips and more on our What’s New page.
Then, after you have eaten the food or consumed the drink inside, you can exchange the container to collect your deposit.
There are 88 everyday products in the program, including Parsley, Brewdog, and Heinz ketchup, as well as many Tesco-specific products like granola, oil, rice, and sugar.
Keep up to date with the latest news with our email alerts delivered straight to your inbox. Register here.
Ken Murphy, CEO of Tesco Group, said: “We are committed to tackling plastic waste and one of the ways we can help is to improve the reuse options available to customers.
“The introduction of Loop in our stores is an important step in this journey.
“With 88 everyday products available, we offer customers a wide range of options and we will learn as much as possible to inform our future packaging plans. “
How the loop works
- The customer visits the store’s Loop center and chooses the pre-filled products in reusable containers that they wish to purchase. In the case of an identical product in plastic packaging, the prices of the contents of each article are comparable to the usual products.
- When they leave their store, Loop items are crated with other races and a small deposit is paid for each reusable packaging.
- Once at home the products are consumed
- The customer downloads the ‘Loop deposit’ application and registers their contact details
- When he goes to his next store, the customer brings back the empty containers
- At the store, the customer picks up a QR sticker at the Loop return point and sticks it on the container. Then scan it using the Loop app on their phone
- The empty containers are then placed in the return point of the loop
- Loop will collect the container and refund the deposit to the customer through the app within six days
- Buyers will also have the option of purchasing a Loop bag (still with a refundable deposit) with a QR code on it to make returning a large number of containers easier and faster.
Find out how you can get more NorthantsLive news straight to your inbox HERE.